In this whirlwind of an episode, Paige, Haley, Amanda, and first-time podcaster, Pete, discuss web unicorns, virtual newspapers, Insta-Novels, ”finstas,” and the latest KFC promotional campaign. Don’t miss out on the laughs as we offer our thoughts on the latest digital marketing issues!
Where Are All The Web Unicorns? — 0:46 – 08:08
WTF are web unicorns? Pete explains what (who) they are and how they relate to web development and design. Are you a web unicorn — someone who is a skilled, rare creature in the marketing world? Find out by listening in!
- Pete’s untapped cartoonist abilities.
- Left vs. right brain use in web development and graphic design.
The New Newspaper — 08:09 – 14:23
Haley enlightens the group about the changes the New York Times has implemented into their website design. From concurrent articles and comment views to the left-to-right page design (similar to turning pages in a newspaper), it seems like the NYT has upped their UX game.
We also talk about:
- Whether or not real books are better for comprehension and
- retention than e-readers.
- Our beef with physical newspapers and traditional news sites.
- Paige’s epic transition skills.
Insta-Novels, Chicken Pox, and Finstas, Oh My! — 14:24 – 28:56
Paige gives us the run-down on Insta-Novels, a new social trend that combines Insta-Stories with classic novels and children’s books. The goal is to provide everyone, especially children in areas with no access to public libraries, with a way to read books for free.
Need more? We deliberated about:
- Our favorite children’s books.
- Snapchat vs. Instagram and why we like one over the other.
- The “finsta” (fake Instagram) trend amongst young kids.
KFC Did It Again — 28:57 – 45:13
We love a good cross-promotion! Amanda brings up the latest PR stunt from KFC. In order to promote their newest menu item, the Double Crispy Colonel sandwich, they enlisted the help of the World’s Strongest Man. In a three-minute video, KFC hosts the Double Crispy Challenge in which the World’s Strongest Man must pull a 700 lb. sled full of Double Crispies. With epic graphics and hilarious camera shots, the video became a hit on YouTube and among social media channels.
We delve into these sub-topics:
- How Gen Z-ers are forecasted to boost the fast food industry.
- Food marketing and how it’s not just about staying healthy anymore.
- How other brands can make their content go viral by following KFC’s lead.
BONUS: Pete’s also a closet magician. Don’t forget to listen all the way to the end of the episode!